Subject: [Leica] KISS
From: hopsternew at gmail.com (Geoff Hopkinson)
Date: Thu, 22 Nov 2012 10:06:27 +1000

Each morning I drive my son Sam to school. That means 30 or 40 minutes in
stop start traffic but we get to chat uninterrupted. Sam was with us in
Barcelona and got to meet Ted for the second time. This time walking around
with us once or twice when we were all shooting.

Today I was telling him about the amazing technology in the newest
Hasselblad cameras that I saw last night. I had explained some basic sensor
theory and was then talking about the auto-focus systems. You point the one
centre AF spot at the eye you want sharp, lock the AF and then recompose.
The camera uses accelerometers to measure how much the camera angle changes
and adjusts for the difference in the arc where the sharpest plane is. Then
it compensates  for errors in the field flatness of the individual lens and
some systems can predict if the subject is moving too. Then the camera
corrects out other optical errors. I explained that Leica M's have no auto
focus systems or accelerometers or predictive systems at all

Sam listened with interest since he enjoys technology and science. After
all of that Sam said, "how come Ted can just point his camera, without even
looking sometimes and get great shots?"

Jeesh!.

Cheers,
Geoff