Subject: [Leica] Olympus XA (OT)
From: mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner)
Date: Sun, 25 Nov 2012 00:07:40 -0500

The 800 dollar camera is in sync with the fact that its sensor is half the
size of the RX1.
This is the Leica list and we're talking about a high quality camera.
Its not a smaller then necessary format camera selling for the price of a
Leica lens shade.
The Rollei 35 and Olympus XA really could give your SLR quality.
If they were half frame cameras they could not.
The Fuji is a half frame in effect digital camera.
"quality" is not why your buying the camera unless your comparing it against
junk point and shoots.
And my apologies to those who bought the camera thinking you were buying a
piece of top pro gear. But it would not take a genius to figure out a full
frame compact was in the wings. And yes they cost real money.

Mark William Rabiner
Photography

> From: Steve Barbour <steve.barbour at gmail.com>
> Date: Sat, 24 Nov 2012 20:55:39 -0800
> To: Leica Users Group <lug at leica-users.org>
> Subject: Re: [Leica] Olympus XA (OT)
>

> On Nov 24, 2012, at 8:51 PM, Mark Rabiner <mark at rabinergroup.com> wrote:
>
>> I think a high quality camera is a Leica M which cost 7000 bucks.
>> I think an small format fui X-100 selling for $829 is not what I'd call "a
>> high quality camera". Its a nice prosumer camera.
>> I think a RX1 which is not small frame and cost $2,800 is  "a high quality
>> camera"
>

> quality and price are not necessarily in synch, the x100 is a high quality
> camera (with compromises to keep the price down), the Sony R1 is a high
> quality camera (with compromises made to keep it small).
>

> Steve
>

>> Mark William Rabiner
>> Photography
>>

>>> From: jon streeter <jon.streeter at cox.net>
>>> Date: Sat, 24 Nov 2012 20:29:22 -0800
>>> To: Leica Users Group <lug at leica-users.org>
>>> Subject: Re: [Leica] Olympus XA (OT)
>>>
>>> I can relate to the fondness that one can "develop" for a small
>>> high-quality
>>> camera.  I've gotten very attached to my X-100 .
>>>
>>> Sent from my Verizon Wireless Phone

>>> authorities.  She got friends to smuggle her film out of Poland and the