Subject: [Leica] Fuji X 100 versus Leica M9
From: tedgrant at shaw.ca (tedgrant at shaw.ca)
Date: Wed, 28 Nov 2012 11:37:07 -0800

"BOKEH?" Every time this word / effect raises it's head on the LUG I never
even knew the word nor what it meant for at least the first 50 years of
shooting. :-)

Then I joined the LUG  and one day it raised it's ugly little head and of
course went on for days, good, bad and ugly! :-) Meanwhile I'm wondering
"what the hell are these guys talking about?"  Then I was informed it was
all about the background out of focus effect! And where had I been for my
first 50 years not knowing this?

Well heck my answer was quite simple. :-) I  always shot for the maximum
impact of the subject as that was always what I thought was most important.
Surprise! One day I was told .... "No the Bokeh is just as important as it
helps the subject look better!"

Me?  "Really?"  So what the hell have I been doing wrong and successfully
for 50 years and never knew the word existed?   The effect? "Yes." But it
just never mattered!

Oh well the usual thing. Different effects for different folks. :-)

Although I now admit I am aware of it in how it separates details in some
situations.   BUT? Do I pay attention to it as I'm shooting? Never enters my
mind! Only on days like this when once a again the "ugly" ;-) little word
appears on my screen and I sigh and delete! ;-) "Have a nice Bokeh day
lads!" :-)

cheers,
Dr. ted :-)

Replies: Reply from billcpearce at cox.net (Bill Pearce) ([Leica] Fuji X 100 versus Leica M9)