Subject: [Leica] Subject: Re: Fuji X 100 versus Leica M9
From: jon.streeter at cox.net (jon.streeter)
Date: Wed, 28 Nov 2012 13:52:54 -0800

I think Leica got caught up in its story.  Most individuals do that too, and
Leica does have one hell of a story to tell.  In 1958 or '9 when a
highschool classmate told me about the features of the early M3 he was
planning to buy, I was cutting my teeth on the Retina IIC my mother had
bought as, she said, a "family" camera.  I thought my friend was describing
some technological marvel from the future.  I wound up getting one at the PX
in Orleans for $254 and change.  I didn't know how good it was until I sold
it and sent the proceeds to a friendcin Japan to buy me a Nikon F and
several lenses (35, 50, 105, 200, and 55 macro).  I was never able to
duplicate the Leica IQ with even the 55.

Leica, I think, got caught up in its story and walked away from the market
they dominated with the M3.  At that time it was the overwhelming choice of
professionals.  I think that's because it was the best tool in its class.
It was very fast to operate, produced the best images of any 35mm camera (I
ran into a studio owner in LA some 20 or so years ago who told me they had
quit shooting 2&1/4 and switched entirely to Leicas), stood up to hard use,
and came in a very small package.

As the  SLR tsunami began, Leitz advertised its diminishing list of
advantages:  quiet shutter, accurate focusing, superior image quality,
compact body and lenses, and much shorter shutter lag time than the
competition.

Leitz sold autofocus to Minolta, and when Minolta's camera debuted with what
Leitz deemed a focusing system unworthy of the Leica name, customers were
paying premiums to get their hands on it.

To take back their leadership role, Leica needs "to giff people vat dey
VANT," not what Leica thinks "dey NEED." (See a previous post re German
accent.) I really like Leicas...but each time I've been faced with the
decision of what to buy to get the job done, I've chosen Nikons or Canons.

Oddly, I must say, a dream assignment dropped into my lap several years ago
via a referral from a client for whom I'd done a couple of annual reports
(using Leica M3 and Nikon for longer lenses).  I accompanied someone, who
needed photographs to illustrate a book, around the seedier neighborhoods of
East LA, and shot photographs in black and white.  I made thousands of
dollars in just a few days.  My choice for this assignment:  M3, M6, 35mm
F/2 ASPH, 50mm F/2, 90mm Tele-Elmarit, like working with old friends.

For working on weekends with a local wedding studio, I bought my first
digital, and first Canon, a 20D, upgraded for a subsequent wedding to a 5D,
and now, while thinking of M thises or M thats, both Canon and Nikon have
announced sensors with top ISO settings of 204,800.  I know the IQ will
suffer at this setting, but for Leica to be a real player, the discussion --
in the marketplace -- would have to be which sensor is superior at that
altitude, Canon, Nikon, or Leica.  Instead Leica is now telling us we don't
NEED such a high ISO we merely have to use very fast lenses.  They also are
telling us that we don't really need shirt shutter lag times.  And the
marketplace "iss telling Leica vat it VANTS."

Just imagine:  You're shooting a wedding with your M 250 (or pick a number)
because it's the only reasonable choice.  You see a shot developing at a
banquet table lit solely by candles.  The table is twenty feet long,
champaigne glasses and flower petals are glowing, backlit by the candles,
the conversation is lively and animated.  Flash would be an obscenity.  You
can't decide on color or black and white, you have only seconds before the
scene dissolves into the ordinary.  You set the distance with your
depth-of-field scale which, it crosses your mind, you can't do with the SLR
you haven't touched in a while, you set your 35 or 28 or 24mm lens to its
smallest aperture, select ISO 1,638,400 (gloating because Nikons and Canons
can't fly this high) and capture this once-in-a-lifetime shot, action
stopped, everything in focus, Leica bokeh turning the candles out of focus
across the room into jewels as only Leica glass can do.

But Leica "duss not giff people vat dey VANT, it giffs dem vat dey NEED." so
we'll just have to pass on that dream for now.

Sent from my Verizon Wireless Phone