Subject: [Leica] Leitaxed R lenses on Nikon
From: leica_r8 at hotmail.com (Aram Langhans)
Date: Wed, 28 Nov 2012 20:46:26 -0800

Thanks Howard.  I saw your post there, but never replied as we were still on
our trip.

I just recently noticed something on my D7000 as far as focus goes.  I was
using the 50 cron and getting what looked like out of focus pictures.  One
of them had some things in front of the main subject fairly close and I
noticed that they were sharp as a tack.  I then used my homemade fine focus
test rig and using the focus conformation, I found that there was quite a
bit of front/back focus range when the light was lit, but I could rotate the
lens quite a bit and still keep it lit.  In those situations, I could get
front, back or correct focus shots.  My eyes and the small crop screen,
though larger and brighter than the Canon I had before, is not good enough
for me to see tack sharp focus on the screen.

I then tried live view with the imaged magnified and could get tack sharp
results on what I was focusing on.  I do not want to use live view all the
time, but if the focus conformation lights are this unreliable, it could
explain some of my missed shots with the 50.  Now, I don't seem to have that
problem with the 100  APO.  Maybe when I am doing Macro I take more time to
see, and maybe the closeness makes the image snap in and out of focus enough
for me to more accurately judge correct focus on the screen.

Have you noticed any focus conformation slop on your Nikon?

I am also wondering if I should invest in a split image/microprism screen,
but the metering problems with a third party screen have me hesitating.
There are already some metering problems stopped down with Leica glass on
the D7000, though not nearly as severe as with my previous Canon.

We can take this back to the Reflex forum if you like.

Aram