Subject: [Leica] Fuji X 100 versus Leica M9
From: jon.streeter at cox.net (jon.streeter)
Date: Wed, 28 Nov 2012 22:40:01 -0800

I agree with Doug.  I was conscious of bokeh years before I knew there was a
word for it.  I was conscious of microcontrast decades before hearing the
term.

I'm a bit bemused by the reaction to this topic:  it's not important, it
doesn't exist, nobody cared, working professionals -- unlike you amateurs
who can't know as much as we do -- don't concern themselves with such
trivial matters, it was impossible for anybody to notice it because "bokeh"
hadn't entered our language, it does exist, but I get to be the one who says
when and under what conditions, I don't care about it so you shouldn't
either?  My goodness.

Who can look at Doug Herr's photographs and question ANYthing he has to say
about image quality?

I've got an idea.  Let's all get together and decide which focal length and
f-stop is the "right" normal lens.  We can divide into camps and impune the
choices of others.  And let's keep at it until it's settled.  As a base I
suggest that "real" photographers use the Henri default setting:  manually
bulk-loaded Tri-X, 50mm lens on Leica body, no light meter, maybe a trench
coat.  If you're doing it any differently, you're just wrong.   Or we could
appreciate and learn from each others' differences.  I'm leaning toward the
latter.

Sent from my Verizon Wireless Phone