Subject: [Leica] Leitaxed R lenses on Nikon
From: red735i at verizon.net (Frank Filippone)
Date: Thu, 29 Nov 2012 07:24:08 -0800

I think it is called manufacturing tolerances and in use wearing in of those
tolerances.  Look at it this way, if your market wants a $600 ( price point
marketing) lens, then you design to that spec... $600.  Tolerances are
designed to be more loose than the same lens specs with a price of $1600.
Maybe you use metal with the expensive lens, and plastic with the cheaper.
Same with bodies.

Now the user expects the results of those 2 lenses to be thee same. So you
design into the bodies the ability to tweak tolerances out, so that the
results are improved.  Time goes on and something inside the lens wears,
changes, or otherwise moves, and you start getting worse results.  Back to
calibration SW to fix it.

It makes a lot of sense to me.

To put it another way, I am expected to pay Leica $250 per lens to make it
work properly on my M9.  With the ability to tweak the M9 in SW to
compensate for the lens errors, I would save considerably.

On this list alone, we have heard countless stories of M8 and M9 users
sending in their lenses to Leica, paying to have them get the lens working
properly and not having the lens come back rightly fixed.  Repeat, same
results... ask Bob Adler....

Frank Filippone
Red735i at verizon.net

One would think that it would take less time to do it as part of production.
It's shoddy manufacturing.  The cameras are sold defective.