Subject: [Leica] Leitaxed R lenses on Nikon
From: cummer at netvigator.com (H&ECummer)
Date: Thu, 29 Nov 2012 15:04:26 -0800

Date: Thu, 29 Nov 2012 10:01:39 -0500
From: "wildlightphoto at earthlink.net" <wildlightphoto at earthlink.net>
Subject: Re: [Leica] Leitaxed R lenses on Nikon
To: lug at leica-users.org

Jayanand Govindaraj wrote:

It took me two hours to calibrate 11 lenses on two bodies. It is not
particularly time consuming or difficult.

One would think that it would take less time to do it as part of
production.  It's shoddy manufacturing.  The cameras are sold defective.

Doug Herr
Birdman of Sacramento

Whoa!
Doug, I think there is some misunderstanding here. The cameras are designed
so that individual Nikkor AF lenses
can be calibrated to focus as accurately as possible - thus overcoming
variations in manufacturing tolerances of the lenses.
That can't be done in the production process.
It is a great system and makes the lenses better by tweaking them to auto
focus more accurately. The cameras sold are
certainly not defective but thoughtfully designed with photographers' needs
in mind. I am grateful for my D800E
and the fact I can use my R lenses on it now that Leica has abandoned the R
line. What will you use when the DMR
is no longer reparable? Whatever it is we all expect that you will continue
with your 280 APO and still produce the
wonderful wild life photographs that we all admire so much.
Bests
Howard