Subject: [Leica] Excellent Piece from NY Times on Impermance, Family Memory and Photography
From: kcarney1 at cox.net (Ken Carney)
Date: Sat, 1 Dec 2012 18:13:40 -0600

Thanks for posting.  I just got a lesson in this subject.  My mother-in-law,
age 97, was over for Thanksgiving dinner and she brought some slides and a
photo album with her.  She has been my MIL for 44 years, but I had no idea
that she was a pretty good photographer.  We always had something else to
talk about, as she is a walking history book.  The album was full of b&w
prints from at least 60 years ago forward, and they looked great,
interesting images that looked like they might have been printed yesterday.
The album and print sleeves were marked "for archival storage" so at least
PVC is out of the equation.  I hope.  The slides were all Kodachrome, about
100 out of thousands more.  I picked some from 1962 and scanned them with
Vuescan.  I have Kodachromes from that time that look like new, but these
are somewhat faded, perhaps not processed by Kodak.    They were stored in
the yellow boxes, not subject to light.  So, I have a new project, to scan
the prints and slides and put together a web site and DVD for the various
generations that may have enough sense to migrate with the technology.  This
is actually a possibility, as it is a large but close Polish family where
even some of the younger generations are physics and math professors
(surprise, surprise) and have a  keen sense of history.  But the slides go
into archival boxes, and the print albums after verifying that the sleeves
are really archival, and will go to a family member who understands their
value.

BTW, the author's points were good but it does sound like she needs to learn
how to edit, preferably as close to the time of taking the photos as
possible.

Ken