Subject: [Leica] Cameras Real Pros Use
From: frank.dernie at btinternet.com (FRANK DERNIE)
Date: Mon, 3 Dec 2012 07:45:20 +0000 (GMT)

Whilst I was af Formula 1 races, from 1976 to 2009, I hardly ever saw a
Leica (or any medium format). I remember one pro who used an M6 for pit
shots. One who used R cameras. The M6 guy was not a "regular", the R guy
retired before the advent of digital. I would be prepared to bet that mosty
of the time the only M in the paddock was my M6.
I think the demise of Leica as a camera for pros started with the Nikon F.
Ever since then there have only been a decreasing number of pros using
rangefinders, and then only those for whom long and zoom lenses were never
the best choice...
To imagine that the digital Leica can somehow suddenly appeal to a large
number of pros over a DSLR, and in the case of the more enlightened ones
looking for low weight, something like the Olympus OM-D, is dreaming IMHO.
Even if all the pros who used film Leicas in the '90s chose to use a digital
one it still wouldn't amount to anything significant.

FWIW the M9 is still by miles my favourite camera ever. I have always been
very much an amateur though.
FD