Subject: [Leica] Big thick ND filters......
From: philippe.amard at sfr.fr (philippe.amard at sfr.fr)
Date: Sat, 8 Dec 2012 18:09:54 +0100 (CET)

I like the idea of letting things happen and light be.

Thanks for the quote

Philippe, constipated?

Message du : 08/12/2012 18:03
De : "Frank Filippone " <red735i at verizon.net>
A : "'Leica Users Group'" <lug at leica-users.org>
Copie ? :
Sujet : Re: [Leica] Big thick ND filters......

 What I heard several years ago was that he shoots at night.

>From a 1997 Photo Techniques magazine interview......

" You did a lot of nighttime shooting with long exposures. Why such long
exposures?

Basically because it's dark at night so it takes longer to expose the film.
Initially I started night photography because of it's inherent
unpredictability. I don't consider previsualisation to be something
particularly worth striving for. In fact I really liked something I read by
Ray Metzker who equated it with constipation! However, if anybody does
enough serious photography previsualisation is an inevitable destination.
Night photography for me was one way of escaping. Exposures are quite
subjective and usually long - anywhere from one or two seconds to seven or
eight hours. Miscellaneous movement and changes of atmosphere during those
long exposures makes for unexpected happenings. Light comes from multiple
directions. Contrast is usually increased. Structures often appear as two
dimensional cut outs. Dramatic black shadows add to the mystery and drama.

"Perhaps most intriguing of all is that it is possible to photograph what is
impossible for the human eye to see - cumulative time."

Do you use any filtration when you shoot?

I sometimes use a neutral density filter with slow speed films, (e.g. Agfa
25asa), for longer exposures during the day. Occasionally I also use a red
filter.

How long are some of those daytime exposures?

Up to 30 minutes depending on the light conditions.

And at night?

They can go up to eight hours or as long as the night is dark. The majority
of the exposures are 10 to 30 minutes but If I am working in a relatively
safe environment I may put the camera out with the lens open for a couple of
hours and have dinner or read a book during the exposure."

Frank Filippone
Red735i at verizon.net

Tangentially related, I know Michael Kenna shoots with a Hassy and may be
others too, but how does he achieve his super long exposures? I heard that
they can be up to 7+ hours? Multiple 10 stoppers and stopping the lens way
down?!