Subject: [Leica] Salgado
From: mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner)
Date: Sun, 09 Dec 2012 03:20:13 -0500

Or another one would be every minute painting is a minute not sketching.
In other words it takes one to do the other and without both your got
nothin.

Photography is all about balance. You have to be both technical and
artistic.
You got people who try to avoid one or the other. It makes for a weak
result.  You need both sides of your brain going.

Many respected photographer started out doing their own darkroom work and
know their way around the darkroom if they have to in a pinch but have
assistants or printers they work with very personally print for them.
They know what to tell them because they've done it themselves.
Nothing certainly gets out without them approving it.
Often they approve proof prints or strips before final prints are made.
I've worked all of those those ways.

At one point my assistant was out of town and I had to go into the darkroom
and make a print and I did not like how long it took me to get a good print
and how much paper I wasted. In the end I now do all my printing myself and
a charge a bit more because of it.

Mark William Rabiner
Photography