Subject: [Leica] T.Nagar
From: jayanand at gmail.com (Jayanand Govindaraj)
Date: Mon, 10 Dec 2012 22:07:30 +0530

Philippe,
Thanks for looking. I have no problem in getting close, but I feel I see,
frame and compose best with a moderate telephoto lens on the street, though
I sally forth with a 16-35 often enough - but it gets a little heavy at
times on the D800E. Another reason to use a moderate telephoto is that
being a little further away, you do not have to bend as much to get the
perspective right. Most of these photographs are within 10 feet of the
subjects, and yes, in a lot of cases they know there are people with
cameras around - it is difficult to ignore 15-20 people tripping around
taking photographs. (-:

I really think this theory about only using wide lenses on the streets
requires debate. There are no rules but the ones we keep entrenched in our
heads you know, so wide and long are all related to how we visualize! Would
you tell HCB that 50mm is too long, and he should have used a 28 or 35? If
I had scrubbed the EXIF data, and not mentioned my lens, would you have
known?

Cheers
Jayanand