Subject: [Leica] Color vs B&W
From: manolito at videotron.ca (EPL)
Date: Wed, 12 Dec 2012 22:55:52 -0500

Serious typo error corrected in the first line.

Yup, the LUG's purple Kool-Aid (a.k.a Lagavulin) will do it to ya but good.

(Who would drink b&w Kool-Aid or monochrome Scotch???)
----------

This line that "Black and white shows the soul/spirit" while colour shows
folk's clothing has always struck me as the opinion of an idiot clod.

Since before time immemorial, people have chosen the clothes they wear.

They do not choose their "souls," neither do they choose the colour of their
skin nor the colour of their eyes or their hair (although the latter is
easily altered).

The clothes & adornments people choose to wear constitute a very telling and
intimate expression of their personality, their self-image, their place (in
their mind's choices) in this world, within their particular culture and
time.

Would any of us see Marilyn Monroe as a green-eyed red-head, not the blond
she CHOSE to be?

There are thousands of other examples.

I am all for colour. I don't hate B&W but I do not celebrate it as superior.

Great artists have always sketched in B&W (pencil or charcoal, for example).
Their great works are always in full colour.

Even ancient sculpture had colour infill. Great ancient Egyptian tomb art is
mostly in colour.

Life is in colour. B&W is an illusion resulting from a technological
deficiency.

Take B&W photos if it pleases you and if it matches your mindset. But to
promote it as inherently superior is just plain silly.

Emanuel

Replies: Reply from robertbaron1 at gmail.com (Robert Baron) ([Leica] Color vs B&W)
Reply from tedgrant at shaw.ca (tedgrant at shaw.ca) ([Leica] Color vs B&W)