Subject: [Leica] Gun control
From: jon.streeter at cox.net (jon.streeter)
Date: Sat, 15 Dec 2012 10:20:11 -0800

The school shooting was not caused by Americans' high regard for individual
liberty.

There have recently been mass-shooting tragedies in countries with much
stricter "gun control" laws than the US.  Norway and England come to mind.

It's worth noting that our violent-crime rate has been declining as gun
ownership has been rising.  Gun accidents in which children are shot are at
an all-time low while per-capita gun ownership is at an all-time high.

Mass shootings happen in "gun-free" zones.  Would-be mass shootings have
invariably been stopped by someone else returning fire, but the media almost
never mention this.  For example, in one such shooting spree, the shooter
was stopped by two off-duty police officers who ran to their cars to
retrieve their handguns (which university regulations prevented them from
having on their persons).  Confronted with two people pointing guns at him,
the shooter lowered his weapon.  Out of about 240 news reports about this
incident, only two (2) mentioned that the shooting was stopped by other
people armed with guns.  Most of us who attempt to inform ourselves are thus
unable to do so and are therefore led to draw erroneous conclusions.

Our crime rate is at one of its lowest points in decades.  Our gun ownership
is at an all-time high.  America does not have a "gun culture"; America has
a freedom culture, one that is unique in human history.

The Revolutionary War's first shots were fired as the British soldiers
marched to confiscate weapons, gun powder, and ammunition.  Amercans' guns
were essential to free them from tyranny.  The framers of the US
Constitution understood the connection between an armed citizenry and
freedom; that's why they put it in writing.

Sent from my Verizon Wireless Phone