Subject: [Leica] Tape backup?
From: richard at richardmanphoto.com (Richard Man)
Date: Sat, 15 Dec 2012 13:21:20 -0800

Hi Leo, the drive that just died is a Western Digital, but I have Seagate
dying on me too. I have half a dozen dead drives from a number of systems
in the drawer and half are probably Seagate and half are Western Digital.

Sonny, the problem is that if you do keep multiple copies, then by
definition, some of the older drives will be sitting around, and drives
that sit around is a concern as the lubricant may dry up.

Mark, the problem with drives use latest and greatest tech is that the
manufacturers are not concentrating on reliability, but on density (more TB
for the $). In fact, at some point, they switched from lifetime warranty or
10 year down to 5. I won't be surprised if they are now just one year or
three year warranty.

Nevertheless, sounds like a cage with cheap internal drives may be an
option.

Thanks all.

--

Replies: Reply from red735i at verizon.net (Frank Filippone) ([Leica] Tape backup?)