Subject: [Leica] Una señorita, mi hija
From: ken at iisaka.com (Ken Iisaka)
Date: Thu, 3 Jan 2013 18:23:45 -0800

Yes, I am familiar with the Ballerina Project, and other like works such as
Ballet Zaida.

My approach was much more personal. At 12, Sara is still years away from
becoming a professional dancer, if ever. Her technique is not refined or
fully developed, but dance is becoming a strong component of her identity,
and also a vehicle for self expression. I tried to help her relate herself
to the environment and with lighting. She said she didn't like most of them
since she sees flaws in her technique; however, at least to me, her father,
it was a fleeting snapshot of her struggles and growth.

My particular favourite is the one where she leans against a tree in the
fifth position. To me, there is a delicate balance between the angles of
the tree and Sara in spite of the "unnatural" placement of her feet,
embraced by the soft light at dusk. In colour, it was far too surreal, with
the grass looking like it was taken on Velvia from hell.

Another of my favourites is the one where her feet are on pointe, on a
pavement with a stain from presumably a beer bottle. The shards of broken
glass and her feet form an interesting juxtaposition of violence (have you
ever seen ballet dancer's feet?) in such disparate forms.

I'm a proud father.