Subject: [Leica] Father-Daughter Moment
From: drleonpomeroy at verizon.net (Leon Pomeroy )
Date: Fri, 04 Jan 2013 21:08:05 -0500

Ken Iisaka <ken at iisaka.com>

Responding to Sara's "Identity," and "self expression" needs in this manner
makes you a loving father.

Responding to the "balance between the angles of the tree and Sara," et. al.
makes for a sensitive photographer. I've enjoyed how you've captured and
shared this father-daughter moment. Dr. Leon Pomeroy, Northern Virginia, USA

Yes, I am familiar with the Ballerina Project, and other like works such as

Ballet Zaida. My approach was much more personal. At 12, Sara is still years
away from

becoming a professional dancer, if ever. Her technique is not refined or

fully developed, but dance is becoming a strong component of her identity,

and also a vehicle for self expression. I tried to help her relate herself

to the environment and with lighting. She said she didn't like most of them

since she sees flaws in her technique; however, at least to me, her father,

it was a fleeting snapshot of her struggles and growth.

My particular favourite is the one where she leans against a tree in the

fifth position. To me, there is a delicate balance between the angles of

the tree and Sara in spite of the "unnatural" placement of her feet,

embraced by the soft light at dusk. In colour, it was far too surreal, with

the grass looking like it was taken on Velvia from hell.

Another of my favourites is the one where her feet are on pointe, on a

pavement with a stain from presumably a beer bottle. The shards of broken

glass and her feet form an interesting juxtaposition of violence (have you

ever seen ballet dancer's feet?) in such disparate forms.

I'm a proud father.