Subject: [Leica] Kancheepuram
From: jayanand at gmail.com (Jayanand Govindaraj)
Date: Mon, 14 Jan 2013 11:59:14 +0530

Just a few more shots to round off our walkabout at Kancheepuram in late
December last year, this time from the 8th century Vaikunta Perumal Temple.
The priest was telling me that, on certain auspicious days, this small
temple plays host to around 350,000 pilgrims. All photographs with the
Nikon D800E and a borrowed AFS 24-70 f2.8 lens:

Typical Bas Relief/Carvings/Sculptures, panels on the inner perimeter of
the temple. Some have been restored, and some not as yet:

http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/jayanand/Kanchi/Kanchi_20121231_349.jpg.html

http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/jayanand/Kanchi/Kanchi_20121231_353.jpg.html

Two studies of the young priest at the temple. The vertical marks of ash
and vermillion mark him as a follower of Vishnu - followers of Shiva will
have horizontal markings on their forehead:

In His Environment:
http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/jayanand/Kanchi/Kanchi_20121231_358.jpg.html

Portrait:
http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/jayanand/Kanchi/Kanchi_20121231_360.jpg.html

Please see LARGE

Comments and criticism, as ever, welcome

Cheers
Jayanand

Replies: Reply from imagist3 at mac.com (George Lottermoser) ([Leica] Kancheepuram)
Reply from photo at frozenlight.eu (Nathan Wajsman) ([Leica] Kancheepuram)