Subject: [Leica] Yousuf Karsh
From: tedgrant at shaw.ca (tedgrant at shaw.ca)
Date: Thu, 17 Jan 2013 16:27:14 -0800

Jayanand Govindaraj OFFERED:

> Someone just sent me this great link:
> http://121clicks.com/inspirations/the-greatest-portraits-ever-taken-by-yousuf-karsh
>
> <<<

Hi Jayanand,
Nice to see a selection of the Master's photos even on screen. However, may
I offer that seeing them, some anyway, while in his studio during visits in
Ottawa many years ago. It was always awe inspiring!
I became friends with his photographer brother, "MALAK" Karsh. But to save
confusion in names, MALAK  was known as "MALAK" without use of their last
name. As there could only be one "KARSH!" And as great as Malak was, his
brother "KARSH" was truly the Master!

So through Malak, I met and spent time with both of them over the years.

One occasion always interesting to hear was due to his wife Solange who was
his PR person, secretary, event organizer, promoter. It was she who arranged
so many things in his success and recognition! Certainly the "GO BETWEEN
PERSON WITHOUT QUESTION!" The true maker of the great one until she passed
away.

Several Paramount Studio executives flew to Ottawa to meet KARSH to arrange
promo portraits of some movie stars.  When they arrived at his Spark street
studio. And as usual movie moguls with an air of attitude they figured
everyone would jump for them. :-) Hollywood types.

When they arrived at the studio they addressed themselves to Solange asking
to see "Mr. Karsh."

Much to their surprise Solange responded quite sharply! " IT'S "KARSH!" Not
Mr. Karsh! If you were to speak with GOD would you address him as "Mr. God?"
To say the least she put the fear of GOD in them and completely controlled
the meeting. "KARSH?"  He just quietly sat there and let her do all the
talking! :-)

One of my lifetime memorable moments with KARSH was when we both received
this presentation a few years ago...........

>>>In 1999 Grant, along with fellow photographic legend Yousuf Karsh,
>>>received the prestigious Lifetime Achievement Award from the Canadian
>>>Association of Photographers and Illustrators in Communications."

One might say a very moving moment during my photographic career!
cheers,
Dr. ted  :-)