Subject: [Leica] finally got my R9/DMR back-yesterday
From: cedric.agie at gmail.com (Cedric Agie)
Date: Sat, 26 Jan 2013 18:23:35 +0100

First;
Are you sure that DMR module etc really went back to Solms? I do
remember such a problem years ago with a Leicaflex SL. After a similar
answer I checked things in Germany (then Wetzlar). In fact the item
had never gone back there. The representative at the time preferred to
sell, not to have things repaired. I even knew of a client who
insisted and who was charged with an outraigously heavy bill, while
the factory had done everything for a fair price.  One day I had a
problem with a lens (a Telyt 180 2.8)  that was still under warranty.
After many months of patience I got it back with a huge bill. As I'm
fluent in German I threatened to call the Leitz company on the spot by
telephone in their presence and the presence of other clients. They
finally backed of. After some time and several similar stories, Leitz
Wetzlar took the necessary conclusions. I simply went to Wetzlar with
my Leicaflex SL and other gear and they checked and fixed everything
without fuzz.

At some time Leitz Leica, having troubles with repairing some reflex
bodies, they proposed to replace them with a newer model at a bargain
price.

I'm not trying to defend a factory. but as I said before, the DMR's
are made in Denmark by the IMACON company who is closely related to
Hasselblad.....             .. Leica bringing a larger format camera
on the market the S2 model etc you can imagine they are not best
friends anymore.

Second;
Leica had difficult times and had to make hard choices a few years
ago. One was to drop the production of R reflex and R lenses (i.e.
24X36 format) instead of the production of the Digital M's.
.
Having  several of these excellent lenses and cameras, I deeply
deplore this situation. Leica has come half way with something that
connects the Leica R lenses to the newer M model. Wait ans see.

As I said before the same story goes for the many Hasselblad owners
among us. When will we see a decent digital back for our beloved 500
500CM, SWC, ELM etc? Without having to sell everything for an even
more expensive composite body with Fujy lenses?  Again it's IMACON who
makes the digital backs for Hasselblad. I hope newcomers will appear
soon. I recently saw a digital back made in China or the US compatible
with Hasselblad bodies. But it is hard to find and still expensive.
Again wait and see, technology will improve and prices will go down.

Cedric Agie
cedric.agie at gmail.com