Subject: [Leica] Two Portraits
From: jayanand at gmail.com (Jayanand Govindaraj)
Date: Sun, 27 Jan 2013 07:07:12 +0530

Bernard, Ric, David, Mark, Douglas
Thanks for looking. To just put it in perspective, because it is difficult
to gauge age when you have a full fledged burka on, the lady in the first
shot must have been in her 40s - but she was already a grandmother; the two
young girls in the second shot were probably 12/13 years old. There are
Muslims everywhere in India, but in our state of Tamil Nadu, they are a
fairly insignificant minority. The other three states in South India,
Kerala, Karnataka and Andhra Pradesh have substantial populations. What
surprised me is the number of burka clad women who turned out for the
Republic Day parade - I have never seen anything like it! Must be one of
the days sanctioned by the husbands for an outing in public (-:

To answered Bernard's query, that kid was looking at me taking her
photograph - I was pretty close by. I was surprised as well that none of
the burka clad women protested even once at having their photographs taken,
they seemed quite willing - even after a lifetime behind this barricade of
a dress, I suppose, traces of femininity and the need for public
acknowledgement still remain. I was just trying to show that through the
only expressive human organ visible - the eyes.

Cheers
Jayanand