Subject: [Leica] DOF Tables, or a tiny bit of physics
From: mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner)
Date: Wed, 30 Jan 2013 02:11:46 -0500

It would be interesting for me at least to know if  a longer lens gets a
larger circle of confusion or smaller.
The hippo in the kitchen nobody is mentioning is that it has little
relevance or meaning to compare a 90mm against a 50mm at ten feet.
What has real meaning or relevance is doing the comparing at same subject
size. If you're doing a head and shoulder shot with a 50 at f 1 and then set
up the same shot with a 75  or 90 at f1.4 or 2 your going to get less DOF as
you stop down or use a slower lens. And when you stop down your Noct. To f2
it would match the long lens at f2.
So a 1.4  long lens has not really less depth of field than a f1 normal
unless you moronically don't back up when you make the shot.
As when the subject size is the same f2 is f2 pretty much regardless of
focal length.
Though this COC being different at different focal lengths is a new one and
makes it more interesting. Not heard or read that one before that I recall.