Subject: [Leica] Sigma DP1 Merrill
From: bensonga at gmail.com (Gary Benson)
Date: Wed, 30 Jan 2013 13:15:56 -0900

*Paul Roark wrote:
*>A friend came by yesterday to show me his new Sigma DP1 Merrill
http://www.luminous-landscape.com/reviews/cameras/sigma_dp1_merrill.shtml ).
>It has a 28mm equivalent lens on an APS-C Foveon sensor. He also brought a
flash drive
>with an un-altered Tiff file. Consistent with the reviews, the pixel
sharpness was just amazing.
>We'll be taking some comparison shots against the M9 with Leica 28mm soon.
>If Sigma and Foveon can get the low light speed of that Foveon chip
competitive,
>the Bayer pattern chips are dead meat.

The Sigma DP1 and DP2 have quite a loyal following on the GetDPI forum.
http://www.getdpi.com/forum/other-cameras/

What really had me interested however, is a SD1 with a Sigma Cum Laude
conversion of the native Sigma mount to a Leica R mount.

http://sigmacumlaude.com/products.html

Unfortunately, I just discovered that the SD1 is "no longer available",
according to the B&H Photo website.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/736546-REG/Sigma_SD1_Digital_SLR_Camera.html

Does anyone here know of someone who has done this and/or has much
experience with the SD1?

Gary Benson
Eagle River, Alaska

Replies: Reply from mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner) ([Leica] Sigma DP1 Merrill)