Subject: [Leica] IMG: Doña Cleta
From: tedgrant at shaw.ca (tedgrant at shaw.ca)
Date: Sat, 2 Mar 2013 10:10:21 -0800

Tina Manley SHOWED several photos:
Subject: [Leica] IMG: Do?a Cleta

> Photo Every So Often:
>
> This is Do?a Cleta.  She was a tiny, little woman only about 4 feet tall
> with severe Kyphosis, or hunchback.  Her family fled to Honduras from
> Guatemala during the civil war of the 1980's.  They settled in Estanzuela
> on the border with Guatemala.  She was the last person to speak the Chorti
> Maya language.  She said she tried to teach the young people but they were
> not interested.  Do?a Cleta died in 2004 at 83.

> She was still grinding her own corn for tortillas and making her own pots
> of clay up until the day she died.

Hi Tina,
These photos just grab your heart! "NO DISTRACTING COLOURS!!!!!!!"
Very strong in your face content images.
I know some folks will argue that colour tells a much greater story, adds
more because etc. etc.

Turn on ones "CONTENT COUNTS" more certainly in these and they just grab and
hold you to stop and scan every nook and cranny. Beautiful images from this
whole series of B&W you have been posting.

They're right from the pages of LIFE  magazine from years long gone by.
Beautiful photography. A huge coffee table book would hold the reader in awe
for hours studying each page. They put us in a different year time zone even
though we're on the same planet! One must say.... "REALLY?" And start at the
front cover all over again  enjoying them all over again. Good on you girl!
cheers,
ted

Replies: Reply from steve.barbour at gmail.com (Steve Barbour) ([Leica] IMG: Doña Cleta)