Subject: [Leica] IMG: Joshua Tree
From: pklein at threshinc.com (Peter Klein)
Date: Mon, 04 Mar 2013 00:11:25 -0800

Thanks, Henning!  I say this with a little trepidation on a Leica list,
but I am really loving the OM-D. My old G1 was just good enough to take
when I didn't want to carry the whole Leica outfit. The OM-D is an order
of magnitude better.  It doesn't have quite the per-pixel IQ of my M8 at
100%, but that difference is simply not important in real life.  Dynamic
range and low-light ability are significantly better than the M8. I
don't have to protect highlights much. I can shoot at 1600 without
worrying, and at 3200 only thinking about it a little.  The three prime
lenses I've got now are very, very good. It's a TTL camera, so it has
all the advantages and versatility of an SLR, but it's smaller and
lighter than a Leica.

I still prefer the M8 for people and decisive moment stuff, if the light
is good enough.  I like to *see* the expression as I take it. The OM-D
is actually pretty fast, but there still is the SLR-like blackout at the
moment of exposure. There is also some sensor vibration that happens
because of the first closing of the shutter, so pictures are sharper if
I program a 1/8 second "anti shock" shutter delay. I'm doing most of the
time.

I picked up the Panny 25/1.4 just before the trip.  It has some barrel
distortion, so I have to remember to dial in a correction in Capture
One.  But aside from that, I'm loving it, and using it most of the time
now. It's nice to have a fast "50" for micro-4/3.

--Peter