Subject: [Leica] M mount on micro 4/3: Price vs quality
From: colin at colinbaker.org (Colin Baker)
Date: Thu, 07 Mar 2013 19:58:42 -0600

On Tue, 05 Mar 2013 15:02:14 -0600, Lew Schwartz <lew1716 at gmail.com>
wrote:

> Is there anything to account for the price gap of these adapters, from
> around $30 to $200, other than, marketing? I want to try some of my M
> lenses on a Panasonic GH3.

I initially bought a cheap $30 M -> NEX adapter.  I've found a couple
lenses don't quite focus to infinity with it, and heavier lenses feel a
bit wobbly.  I replaced it with a Hawks Factory adapter, and it has been
*much* better.  No wobble (even on my big 90mm Summicron), all lenses
focus to infinity, and this particular adapter even has a helicoid for
close focus.  They go for $150-200 on their ebay store, I feel it was well
worth it.

More than likely, the cheap adapter will be fine for most purposes.  But
the better adapters definitely have advantages.