Subject: [Leica] Who needs 24 Megapixels when you can have 8?
From: richard at richardmanphoto.com (Richard Man)
Date: Mon, 11 Mar 2013 03:19:47 -0700

This photo caught my eyes:
<http://www.newyorker.com/online/blogs/photobooth/Kamber_War0002.jpg>

Being a photo geek - this is clearly a super wide angle shot, but look,
there's no "oblong" wide angle lens distortion at the edge? I downloaded
the image, and it's taken on a 2004 state of the art camera - the 1.3x crop
Canon 1 D MkII with a whooping 8.2 megapixels. The lens is set to 16mm, so
about 21mm in "full frame," still quite a wide angle shot.

Perhaps because it's cropped from a 16mm image that we do not see the
distortion, which actually would be an argument in favor of using a cropped
sensor.

The full article, which is quite interesting, is here:
<
http://www.newyorker.com/online/blogs/photobooth/2013/03/ten-years-later-photojournalists-on-war.html

--

Replies: Reply from jhnichols at lighttube.net (Jim Nichols) ([Leica] Who needs 24 Megapixels when you can have 8?)