Subject: [Leica] Training Session
From: jayanand at gmail.com (Jayanand Govindaraj)
Date: Fri, 29 Mar 2013 09:19:21 +0530

One of the more interesting experiences in Ndutu this year was watching a
Mother Cheetah capture an adolescent Thomson's Gazelle alive in order to
train her two biggish cubs in the art of the chase and kill. They were not
old enough to kill outright, but they would chase the poor Tommy, catch it,
let it go again and repeated this a few times before the mother dispatched
it, and they had their fill:

Capture:
http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/jayanand/EAfrica/2013/Ndutu_20130307_08177-Edit.jpg.html

The chases were difficult to predict, and usually took place some distance
away, but finally, the predator and prey came towards our vehicle. I am
posting two shots - the first has the focus on the prey, and the second on
the predator, and I cant decide which looks better:

Chase 1:
http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/jayanand/EAfrica/2013/Ndutu_20130307_08138.jpg.html

Chase 2:
http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/jayanand/EAfrica/2013/Ndutu_20130307_08139.jpg.html

Please see LARGE

Comments and criticism, as ever, welcome

Cheers
Jayanand

Replies: Reply from dstella1 at ameritech.net (Dante Stella) ([Leica] Training Session)
Reply from imra at iol.ie (Douglas Barry) ([Leica] Training Session)