Subject: [Leica] PhotoKit Sharpener
From: pklein at threshinc.com (Peter Klein)
Date: Sun, 31 Mar 2013 14:46:16 -0700

Tina:  I experienced a variation on Phong's theme. The PhotoKit effect
seems overcooked when compared to the original. But when I look at it on
its own, it seems great. Then I look closely at the dome on the left,
and it seems too over-etched, and the shadowed areas on the battlements
in the foreground seem impossibly golden and too bright.  And my brain
keeps vacillating between "beautiful" and "overdone."

I remember something I read about Jonathan Tunick's orchestrations for
the Sondheim musical "Follies": "It's not what the [1930s Broadway] band
sounded like. It's what you think you remember the band sounded like."

Part of the problem is that in such scenes, we're trying to recreate
what we think we remember it looked like, not what our eyes, or the
sensor, record on their own. This is the problem I have with HDR and
HDR-like effects--when everything is too clear, too perfect or too
vivid, a piece of me says "Can't be true."

This is probably why I usually underdo such effects myself.

--Peter

Replies: Reply from steve.barbour at gmail.com (Steve Barbour) ([Leica] PhotoKit Sharpener)
Reply from images at comporium.net (Tina Manley) ([Leica] PhotoKit Sharpener)