Subject: [Leica] Cheetahs, People and Vehicles
From: jayanand at gmail.com (Jayanand Govindaraj)
Date: Wed, 3 Apr 2013 11:14:31 +0530

Nathan,
Thanks for looking. You are quite wrong on your assumption, though. The
vast majority of local people around the wildlife reserves across most of
the world get no benefit from tourists - the money is usually gobbled and
wasted by corrupt and inefficient Government (any surprise?). Actually
tourists are usually looked upon as pests who have displaced the locals
from their traditional lands...

That is why poaching continues unabated to keep impotent Chinese
functioning - Tiger Penis Soup anyone? Or Rhino Horn Powder? I heard in
Africa this time that a rhino is poached in South Africa alone every 24
hours - God knows how true it is, though - but poaching is endemic across
Africa and Asia.

Cheers
Jayanand