Subject: [Leica] Last of the Duma
From: jayanand at gmail.com (Jayanand Govindaraj)
Date: Thu, 4 Apr 2013 17:17:28 +0530

Last photographs of the Duma (Cheetah in Swahili) - a couple have small
little stories attached to them:

This cub, very unwisely, decided to chase an adult warthog, but the tables
were turned in an instant, and he just about made it, with seconds to
spare, to the security of the tree and escaped a mauling. The shock was
still visible on his face! We were too far away to photograph the chase,
but we arrived as the cub reached the succor of the tree:

http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/jayanand/EAfrica/2013/Ndutu_20130305_06483-Edit.jpg.html

These two cubs were actually eying a severely hamstrung, unmoving full
grown wildebeest about 50 yards away (unfortunately, I was not carrying a
wide angle lens with me on that day). The cubs were too small to help the
mother, who in turn was incapable of killing the large prey by herself. In
time, they just moved away. We saw the dead carcass untouched by a predator
the next day:

http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/jayanand/EAfrica/2013/Ndutu_20130306_06946-Edit.jpg.html

Play:
http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/jayanand/EAfrica/2013/Ndutu_20130308_08479.jpg.html

To me, this is Africa - rolling grasslands with animals in warm light
accentuated by crisp, clean air after a torrential downpour!

http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/jayanand/EAfrica/2013/Ndutu_20130308_08479.jpg.html

Please see LARGE

Comments and criticism, as ever, welcome.

Cheers
Jayanand

Replies: Reply from cedric.agie at gmail.com (Cedric Agie) ([Leica] Last of the Duma)
Reply from kanner at acm.org (Herbert Kanner) ([Leica] Last of the Duma)