Subject: [Leica] [OM] M240 Photos
From: leicaphong at gmail.com (Phong)
Date: Mon, 8 Apr 2013 06:53:37 -0400

Thanks Tina for the link.
I am very interested in upgrading to a full-frame digital M camera and the
choice is between the M-E or the M Typ 240.

Only a few shots scream "unnatural" to me, which then triggers an HDR alarm
in me.  The most obvious one to me:
       http://leicam240images.tumblr.com/image/47273263938
but could that be caused by used of fill flash coming from camera right ?
 Shadow on man's face is on camera left, but other predominant shadow areas
elsewhere in the image are on camera right. The sun is clearly is high up
in the sky, which does fool my own experience as I am not accustomed to
that kind of lighting.
Also the fact that both sides of the grey building in the background is
disconcerting.

Totally unnatural skin tone:
      http://leicam240images.tumblr.com/image/47271408901
:-)

All kidding aside, very impressive dynamic range. That alone makes these
images "unnatural", as I have been conditioned by the low range on the M8
for 6 years now.
My high noon shots certainly do not look like that.

Henning (from whom I have learned a lot) mentioned use of perhaps a 21mm,
which I am not seeing.  I am seeing more like a 28mm on the wide shots:
    http://leicam240images.tumblr.com/image/47272566605
with huge arm on the right.  I hope the photographer did NOT crop the
photos.  That would be totally lame.
Another poor use of a wide lens:
   http://leicam240images.tumblr.com/post/47272685431
Perhaps Henning, you can point out the shots that you think were made with
a 21mm ?

Love this shot   http://leicam240images.tumblr.com/image/47272424556
of a "motor cab", and how they customize the motorcycle with a curtain, and
a tin roof, insulated with old newspapers to cope with the sun and heat,
and at the same time provide their passengers with reading materials :-)

Cheers,

- Phong