Subject: [Leica] re; the Kodak Colorama in Grand "Central
From: lrzeitlin at aol.com (lrzeitlin at aol.com)
Date: Tue, 30 Apr 2013 21:33:59 -0400 (EDT)

I walked by the Kodak Colorama in New York's Grand Central Station
every workday for 30 years on my commute from upstate NY to Gotham.
After struggling with my own 16 x 20s I was more than a little
impressed so I investigated the technology behind the Colorama.

The actual size of the image was 60 feet by 18 feet and was composed of
41 strips of 19 inch by 20 foot Ektachorme display film. The strips
were fastened together with transparent tape to make the full display.
Originally the image was photographed with view cameras, usually
specially constructed Deardorfs. But as films got better, original
images were made with Linhof medium format cameras. Eventually a 35 mm
camera was used primarily to show that it could be done. Making a
Colorama image from a 35 mm Kodachrome slide requires a 480 times
linear enlargement. Making a 16"x24" print requires only a 16 times
linear enlargement.

Fortunately for Kodak, the closest one could get to the Colorama was
about 60 feet. From this distance the smallest details of the image
needed to be only .4" in size to appear perfectly sharp. Minox once
used the same strategy in photo shows when displaying images taken with
the tiny camera. Big prints enlarged from the 8x11 mm negatives, when
viewed from four feet, looked perfectly sharp.

In the context of today's digital cameras if each element of the image
were considered a pixel, the Colorama image would require about one
megabyte. Even halving the pixel size for better quality, the Colorama
image would require only 8 megabytes.

Just think of how big an image a modern Leica digital or the latest
Canon DSLR could produce if held to the same Colorama standards.

Larry Z