Subject: [Leica] Warning: Tech Stuff and Questions
From: kanner at acm.org (Herbert Kanner)
Date: Tue, 7 May 2013 16:46:37 -0700

Wanting an inexpensive camera for places/activities that could be risky for
my M9, I jumped at the offer of a used Lumix DMC-LX5d on the LUG. After a
dozen hours of learning how to cope quickly with the complex array of menus
and doing some experemts with RAW, I come up with with some puzzlements for
the techies among you,

First, for comparison, here is how the M9 files are. Not using Leica's
compression, the DNG files right out of the camera are exactly 36,4 MB.
After going into Lightroom (LR4) the DMG files that LR stored from a set of
twenty or thirty shots ranged in size from 19.2 to 22.2 MB. Clearly LR is
doing some lossless compression--this started, I think, with LR3; LR2 didn't
do it. Interesting fact--note this later as you read--is that a Mac
application called "Just Looking" will display images from RAW files and
displays both the original and compressed versions equally.

Next, here is the story on the Lumix RAW files. The files right out of the
camera have ranged in size, again from a moderate set of shots, from 11.8 to
11.9 MB. That they are not identical in size is puzzling. Are they using
some lossy compression from a sensor that puts out larger files? Also, I'd
like to make a comment on the file size of RAW from this 10 megapixel
camera. It would indicate that the data from each pixel is one byte. Well
that is exactly the data size from an M9 if one uses Leica's lossy
compression, which several LUGers have said is not visually detectable. I'm
sort of ready to go along with this observation; human response to
stimuli--all kinds--is logarithmic. That is each time you multiply the
intensity of a stimulus by a constant factor, e.g., doubling it, the human
thinks of that as uniform steps (think decibel!). So, the Leica 36MB minus
whatever the EXIF data consumes is gross overkill!.

Now a funny thing happens when LR turns those files into DNGs. The RAW files
right out of the camera can be displayed by "Just Looking". But the DNG
files produced from these by LR cannot. The files produced by LR are a bit
more varied in size than the originals, ranging from 10.3 to 14.8 MB.

Can the techies among you shed any light?

Herb

Herbert Kanner
kanner at acm.org
650-326-8204