Subject: [Leica] Back on Pender
From: steve.barbour at gmail.com (Steve Barbour)
Date: Sun, 12 May 2013 21:49:40 -0700

Sent from my iPhone
Steve Barbour

On May 12, 2013, at 9:38 PM, H&ECummer <cummer at netvigator.com> wrote:

Hi Scott,
I take the digest so my replies are delayed until it comes out. I use both
the X Pro 1 and also the XE 1. These days I lean toward the XE 1 as the grab
and go camera because you can get the SD card out without removing the case
- another thoughtful design feature from Fuji. I use the Fuji M > X adapter
which lets me dial in the focal length of the Leica lens attached by pushing
the button on the side of the adapter. I like to have the lens focal length
show up in the EXIF info. You need to turn the AF button on the front of the
camera to Manual and then by pushing in the wheel located on the upper right
back of the camera you can have a magnified view. Turn it right for 10X
magnification, left for 5X - spin the focusing barrel of the lens until the
image is sharp - either, as Steve mentioned, through the EVF or the LCD and
fire away.

Of interest, it's actually easier to do as you can intuit, when the lens is
wide open....

It is not as fast as pre focusing a manual lens stopped down to a small
aperture to enlarge depth of field to catch the decisive moment but it is
pretty good, practice helps, and you can nail focus without thinking about
the tolerances of mechanical linkages in an optical rangefinder finder. I
found on my Burma trip that I was using the X Pro 1 (my wife used the XE 1)
more than my M9 which is really saying something. Of course, with the Fujis
you also have the option of AF with the excellent Fuji lenses that make fine
images on the X Trans sensor. Whether such an outfit is right for you - I
think you need to get one in hand and field test it for awhile to really
know.
That's what I've been doing.
Best Regards
Howard