Subject: [Leica] To tempt Fuji X users?
From: Frank.Dernie at btinternet.com (Frank Dernie)
Date: Sat, 18 May 2013 07:25:22 +0100

Actually, the previous camera I bought on whim was a Nikon D3x which I
hardly ever use now. That was a waste of money.

I do not consider the M to be an investment. My Anastigmat, 1950s MP and
f1.2 Noctilux are investments. The M is just a very expensive depreciating
tool. The M lenses are still non-optimum for digital sensors with an exit
pupil pretty close to the imaging plane. Leica have done great work in
hardware (offset microlenses, though these obviously must be averaged since
every different lens would need a different offset pattern to be optimum)
and software (compensation for colour vignetting) but I still think digital
doesn't get the best out of our Leica lenses. Great to use our legacy lenses
but compromised non the less. I am not sure whether it is worth buying when
I already have an M and rarely shoot at higher than base iso.
Fuji have made a special sensor and optimised, nicely made, lenses for it.
And they have done it at a realistic price.
On top of that he results speak for themselves.
FD

Replies: Reply from mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner) ([Leica] To tempt Fuji X users?)