Subject: [Leica] Fuji choice and Leica
From: hopsternew at gmail.com (Geoff Hopkinson)
Date: Mon, 20 May 2013 07:20:11 +1000
References: <F3184F1C-B5C6-4607-A7EF-8CE07374C8CA@mac.com> <A32464F7-83CA-43A8-A6E5-6375B791A1DF@frozenlight.eu> <CA+yJO1CDA1j0arXrb4yV+TMOdy9kc93SH4e5zozkCwypUgGq1w@mail.gmail.com> <80F9701439F20347874CE5E4E03C22E9C54DD80E@WHIZZMAIL02.whizz.org> <187C4151-0957-490C-A80F-089376063D84@gmail.com> <80F9701439F20347874CE5E4E03C22E9C54DDC02@WHIZZMAIL02.whizz.org> <CAAsXt4Meif3wNScufbmUwOBZQA5He=Gor8gQPQQeOhW6b6jujQ@mail.gmail.com> <80F9701439F20347874CE5E4E03C22E9C54DE6E3@WHIZZMAIL02.whizz.org> <2D240B99-C971-4163-B6A1-A17173A1ED6B@gmail.com> <91E6FAC3-F8C4-4BFE-B312-CF9B1E3CD407@btinternet.com> <FE763A6C-C734-4A2C-9409-77A2AB612CE1@gmail.com> <80F9701439F20347874CE5E4E03C22E9C54ED109@WhizzMAIL01.whizz.org> <CAAsXt4NGWcFaaiavFEn5Ka3UJHoRMov2gBRFQ7uo_BLM-K2TWQ@mail.gmail.com> <80F9701439F20347874CE5E4E03C22E9C54EE45E@WhizzMAIL01.whizz.org> <CAAsXt4PHoa1=qFLXefDtOpevNdwcPudQ6Ow0rXYCGSqtkQaGNw@mail.gmail.com>

Further to that and my own speculation, I would add a couple of points:
At the M9 announcement there was actually pre=positioned stock so that some
supply was immediately available. Following that  though demand greatly
exceeded their expectations (planning?) and waiting lists grew. The M9 used
as much (established) M8 technology/design/parts/mechanical commonality as
feasible and was considered a relatively low risk project. The firmware
partner relationship was already established too.
All of that paid off for Leica Camera in sales of course.

In contrast the M (typ 240) is entirely new (despite being externally
superficially similar), and entirely organic with a new partner for sensor.
At announcement it was not ready for market. A trickle of stock appeared in
the promised window (first quarter 2013) but of course demand and
expectation was already pent up due to that 5 month gap.
I am only aware of one actual rported example of the loose strap lug
problem but it rapidly and understandably became discussed in the fora and
rightly generated a recall/rectification program including a promise that
any camera or mounted lens damged by such failure would be replaced withnew
items. AFAIK that never had to be implemented, thus far at least.
Reportedly this possible fault was limited to the production delivered
prior  the start of April. Rectification I presue was by Customer Service
which is separate from the assembly and testing facility at Solms (to be
Wetzlar in the future). In theory it ought not to have had a major effect
on new production although I expect that additional checking was
implemented.

So I think that the M (typ240) is more akin to the S2 (lso all new) in
gestation and production than the M9

My prediction is that production will stutter and lag into this year and
the camera will then go on to be at least as successful as the M9. Right
now, if I wasn;t number one on a list and with a better deal negotiated
with dealer, I personally might be tempted to just wait six months and try
again. But then what would I stack in Barcelona at the LUG gathering in
September?

*Breathe in, breathe out, move on* -- Jimmy Buffett

Cheers
Geoff
http://www.pbase.com/hoppyman

Replies: Reply from mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner) ([Leica] Fuji choice and Leica)