Subject: [Leica] Mark's 5.6 and be there
From: mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner)
Date: Mon, 20 May 2013 00:42:26 -0400

I think with some of the Leica super premium glass what it might get at wide
open is what the previous lens got a few stops less so there is no need to
stop down to get more resolution or contrast as you are getting  plenty.
And in itself stopping down does not make much of a difference on those
parameters.
 You'd only stop down if you wanted a bit more depth sharp; a tad more
leeway or breathing room.
I know that much of long and very long lens shooting is done wide open by
people who know what they are doing and on a regular basis with no stopping
down at all as a matter of course.  And a faster shutter speed is with long
glass sorely needed. And of course the isolation of subject is more of an
obvious choice with long glass. You're going to get it anyway.