Subject: [Leica] PESO: RG Lewis and Leica M frustrations
From: steve.barbour at gmail.com (Steve Barbour)
Date: Sat, 25 May 2013 16:01:27 -0700
References: <CDC6CF5D.961DE%jkfyao@gmail.com> <41F24D85-FD4E-444A-A6F8-74C326A1142A@frozenlight.eu> <CAH1UNJ0AO27H3UHor3ZH5cx_3poLhRe8B49PiVKMUGeU0=wcBw@mail.gmail.com> <842D1852-FA13-4160-B737-31913182FA18@gmail.com> <CAE3QcF5RGOJQx1RLHJpNKA35k4q-zFU6kMDK6mggWZiQB2Q0Xg@mail.gmail.com> <18864475-D582-41E7-A891-2CF2A4AB99A9@gmail.com> <CAE3QcF7eH6n0trP6y4+ACixaDEbeNogMScTEdqEL3=BHdFXzDw@mail.gmail.com>

On May 25, 2013, at 3:24 PM, Geoff Hopkinson <hopsternew at gmail.com> wrote:

> Steve I have looked at those very nice new designs from FujiFilm locally
> too. The appeal is certainly obvious and they deserve to be successful.
>> From my perspective it makes more sense to use them with their native
> lenses to use all of their capabilities.
>
> As far as I know Leica Camera are selling as much as they can make and more
> than any time in recent history. I think that more photographers have
> become interested too and buy some portion of that product as they always
> have. Still very much a tiny niche part of the market of course.
>
> Lots of us frustrated waiting for the M typ 240 to be delivered certainly.
> I am still using my M9 while I am looking forward to an improved version of
> it (which is how I think of the M).
>
> I can only speak for my local area. Here the availability of M lenses is by
> far the best I have ever seen in my 6 years of involvement. You can get
> anything at all, including the exotics immediately off the shelf. The sole
> exception I can think of the the APO Summicron 50 but that one is a truly
> bleeding edge statement piece I think, probably akin to the first Nocti in
> production challenges and astronomical price for that matter. Never
> intended for volume production as far as I know. The M-E is on those
> shelves too.
> The S system is reportedly now holding 20% of the tiny medium format
> market.
> As far as the new mystery Mini M  obviously none of us know exactly what it
> will be and how well it will work just yet. I do think that a lot of the
> predictions we read in the groups are more personal wishlists. I suspect
> that many of those predictors will be very annoyed when their birthday
> cakes have the wrong flavour frosting ;-)
>
> My personal fearless prediction (SWAG!) is that it won't be an M at all or
> something you can put M lenses on. Feel free to taunt me after June 11 if I
> am completely wrong!

thanks Hoppy for your insights and thoughts, while considerably more
optomistic than mine certainly time will tell, and well one of us may be
wrong or both of us may be wrong.

> *Breathe in, breathe out, move on* -- Jimmy Buffett
>
> Cheers
> Geoff
> http://www.pbase.com/hoppyman
>

> On 26 May 2013 01:05, Steve Barbour <steve.barbour at gmail.com> wrote:
>

>> On May 25, 2013, at 7:21 AM, Geoff Hopkinson <hopsternew at gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> I don't know if this translates well. In Australia we call this the "
>> tall
>>> poppy syndrome". Some people enjoy taking swipes at anyone successful.
>> Good
>>> on them. Of course it is in our interest too that Leica Camera does well.
>>> They make products that some of us value a lot for the photographs that
>> we
>>> can make with them and for the experience of using those products to
>>> achieve that, They can sell as much as they want to anyone that may value
>>> their products for whatever reason they wish. Why would you care if you
>>> value Leica for the photographs you can make?
>>
>> If at this time virtually all of the product is going to people who don't
>> make photographs, you can bet that I/we should care about it. Of course it
>> is impacting our ability to make photos right now. But I don't think that
>> you have answered my question. The short run is already surely impacted as
>> I have just noted. I was asking about the longer run. What does this model
>> predict in terms of future optical quality?
>>
>> I am now using a wonderful 1950's Leica Summicron 50/2 on a Fujifilm XE-1
>> body, with a better experience and with better results than with the
>> latest
>> Leica glass on my M9. Leica quality clearly is already compromised, and
>> their plan to sell expensive gear to non users means that they are not
>> currently giving priority to the practical needs of professionals and
>> discriminating users.
>>

>> Steve
>>

>>> *Breathe in, breathe out, move on* -- Jimmy Buffett
>>>
>>> Cheers
>>> Geoff