Subject: [Leica] [LRflex] Re: IMGs: San Francisco Carnival
From: rgacpa at gmail.com (Robert Adler)
Date: Tue, 28 May 2013 19:09:29 -0700

Hi David,

Thanks for looking and your kind remarks. It was a very photo-rich venue!

The X-E1 was very easy to use with the Leica M-mount lens. The only
difficulty I had was when things got a bit fast, I accidentally hit the EVF
diopter setting and lost the ability to focus until I figured it out. That
actually is an issue I have with the camera generally: it's too easy, even
with my small hands, to hit a button that does something. As there are
literally tens of setting that can be made, hearing the setting change
beeper as you grab the camera to bring it to your eye is frustration
inducing. Fortunately before the event, I practiced how to grab it by feel
so as not to set off the alarms! Mostly I was OK.  But I lost a few
opportunities...

That said, I think, for the price, it's a great little tool. The ISO
performance level and the detail achievable, because of no anti-aliasing
filter, surpasses that of the M9, but the simplicity of the M9 is lacking.
And if people think they can use the EVF magnification option to zero in on
focus in a fast paced situation, they are more coordinated than I,
especially shooting wide open which I love to do...

All in all, a great piece of equipment for the price. Terrific to be able
to use M lenses with the manufacturer's mount, and sensor technologically
sharper and more advanced than the M9.  That said, I hope to end up with
the new M and use this as a second level backup or carry around at work/on
the bike/harsh environs, etc. I hear the Fuji 35mm f/1,4 is incredible on
this body, but have yet to try it. Just love my Leica glass...

Of course, this is all just my opinion.

As for EXIF data exclusion, many on several lists may use an image to say
this is better or that is better. I just wanted the images reviewed without
bias. Now that I've posted without EXIF, I will put the EXIF in there for
those who are interested. As the X-E1 has no way of knowing what f-stop was
used, it always shows as f/1.0: the M9, of course, tries to guess.
www.rgaphoto.com/2013-Carnival
www.rgaphoto.com/2013-Carnival2
(you may have to refresh these pages in your browser...)

Thanks again,
Bob

--
Bob Adler