Subject: [Leica] Leica Mini M Specs Leaked and Photo - now languages
From: philippe.amard at sfr.fr (philippe.amard)
Date: Wed, 29 May 2013 11:57:04 +0200
References: <CACi97qLASR6k6CsM1NfogDMDPWQ1tnp3GF3CjDrXaE4yDW7jRQ@mail.gmail.com> <01b601ce5c2c$3db2fda0$b918f8e0$@verizon.net> <559C9681-0F41-4E9B-96FB-BEAF2DF1F7FC@gmail.com> <5848C083-1460-41A2-83B3-C4C4BD581030@frozenlight.eu> <F23595F8-3BE0-4B1D-B0BF-9BEC3645292A@gmail.com> <CC5C2F99-434D-4550-AC23-A7FDE8D358B6@sfr.fr> <8E207AF9-8462-4613-BDA4-D66E2E6D9A22@frozenlight.eu> <D9ECB067-DDFF-44E1-BBC4-FC1734E7CDB4@gmail.com> <458961d0f66b0335107e1135ed1ade0c.squirrel@webmail.frozenlight.eu> <7D25A25D-9CBF-4350-895D-725400DFE0B4@gmail.com>

We had a dozen Russians this year who joined European law courses on a
total of 120 Master's degree students.
Their French was better than many of the natives'.
And their English near native level ...
None of them were sporting Leicas though :-)

I also have Chinese students in economics: honestly and from a
usefulness perspective, I'd agree with you Jayanand that our
economists may not be teaching them anything worthy, language
excepted ... perhaps they can conquer our markets faster when they
know how we think?

OTT For about 15 years I have taught PhD students in Science who do
have to speak and write in English, be it in the lab with foreign
fellow students and tutors alike or for papers and conferences.
Breaking the law (called loi Toubon) over these years was a delight.
Now with the reform I'm afraid the fun will be gone ;-)

Amiti?s
Philippe

Le 29 mai 13 ? 11:29, Jayanand Govindaraj a ?crit :

> I understand that, and this is the right time to do it, because
> Cameron's new student visa rules has succeeded brilliantly in
> driving away students from our part of the world! I believe
> applications to British Universities from India are very
> significantly down. Now we can wait for those temples of learning to
> slowly run out of money, because who else, but the Asians, pay those
> full, non subsidized fees?
> Cheers
> Jayanand
>
> Sent from my iPad
>
> On 29-May-2013, at 2:17 PM, "Nathan Wajsman" <photo at frozenlight.eu>
> wrote:
>
>> Jayanand, this is not aimed at French students, but at foreigners.
>> French
>> universities look enviously across the Channel and the large number
>> of
>> students from, not least, your country, that study there. They
>> would of
>> course like to attract their share too, but language is a barrier,
>> since
>> let's face it, not many people in India or other big potential
>> sources of
>> students (including other EU countries) speak French. German
>> universities
>> have long ago faced up to this and many offer entire courses in
>> English.
>> So now the French universities want to follow suit.
>>
>> A somewhat related tidbit: increasingly, academic articles in my
>> discipline (economics) are published in English, even in German or
>> Italian
>> or French (!) journals. Paradoxically, this has lessened the
>> dominance of
>> UK and US economists in recent years, because now academics from
>> other
>> countries, who were obscure 30 years ago when they published papers
>> only
>> in their local languages, now are accessible to a world-wide
>> audience of
>> their peers. It's like Latin in the Middle Ages, except more
>> democratic.
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Nathan
>>

>> Op Wo, 29 mei, 2013 09:35, schreef Jayanand Govindaraj:
>>> Not surprising - if there are no jobs in France, you would need a
>>> minimum
>>> of English to go anywhere else, would you not?
>>> Cheers
>>> Jayanand
>>>
>>> Sent from my iPad

>> --