Subject: [Leica] Glossy Mac screen
From: hopsternew at gmail.com (Geoff Hopkinson)
Date: Mon, 10 Jun 2013 13:21:49 +1000

That is interesting that you can pull out the cover glass on some Mac
screens. Who would have thunk it?
I've never used one; they look attractive in the store displays. I had a
Macbook once.
As I understand it a gloss screen may look more appealing because of its
apparent extra sharpness and contrast and typically all monitors are
delivered with high brightness levels and very high contrast too. Speaking
of photo editing specifically a typical screen can make images look
"nicer". That is similar to a jpg compared to a flat raw file, if I can use
that analogy. If your primary or current purpose is to view or edit for
screen displays obviously they can work fine. Millions of people use just
that.

With the advent of Windows 8 gloss is important too for touch screen
functions. I like that on my phone and iPad. I would hate it on my photo
editing PC and gloss annoys me constantly on my  laptops. That is just
personal preference of course.

What a high end matte screened large colour space calibrated to low
contrast and luminance monitor in a colour managed system can do better is
to show you much more closely what prints will look like. That's what they
are for. A fine art printing stock paper might only be capable of recording
perhaps a contrast ratio of 150:1 and be "stops darker"since it is
reflective rather than transmissive by nature of course.. Standard monitors
claim figures of 10,000 :1 or more. Further the tonal gradation
(smoothness) can be much much better and the screen edge to edge variation
much smaller.

Just like cameras, lots and lots of them take great photos but enthusiasts
can value more control, more quality and all of the rest and you might have
to pay more, often a lot more.
Up to everyone individually whether the costs are worth it for them of
course.

*Harden up cupcake, no-one's shooting at you!*

Cheers
Geoff
http://www.pbase.com/hoppyman