Subject: [Leica] Suggested Exposure for Mooning?
From: robertbaron1 at gmail.com (Robert Baron)
Date: Sun, 23 Jun 2013 11:29:25 -0500

==On Sat, Jun 22, 2013 at 11:38 PM, Robert Adler <rgacpa at gmail.com> wrote:

> Sorry Robert, missed the first of this.
> How far away were the leaves? 100 yards? 50? 500?
> I know that with my cameras infinity starts at about 1 mile. f/5.6 for a 75
> isn't all that stopped down. Perhaps try f/11, use hyper focal to your
> advantage a bit, and a tripod...
> Just a WAG.
> By the way, tomorrow the moon rises as the sun sets (moon rise 15 minutes
> after sunset). Perfect time to get a softly lit landscape with a large full
> moon. Unfortunately it is supposed to be cloudy and rainy here; so I'm
> counting on you!
> Best,
> Bob

The trees are probably 25 - 50 yards away, so at 5.6 probably not within
the hyperfocal distance of my 75mm Summarit on the M9. I should have done
more research before asking that question.

I did find an iPhone app called MoonPhase ($1.99) that gives times and
directions and numerous other data that could be useful if you are
interested.

>From what I have read the Super Full Moon is tonight (Sunday, June 23) -
this means the moon will be closer to the earth than normal - which
explains Nathan's observation from the taxi to the airport.  I think my
exposure was reasonably close but if you can visualize a 35mm negative, the
moon on it is about the size of the head of a straight pin so I think I'll
leave this to photographers who have longer lenses and better vantage
points from which they can catch the moon as it is rising and don't have to
wait until it is above the houses and trees.  I was only able to get this
shot an hour and a half after actual official moonrise.

http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/Bob+Baron/W_3003188Moon.jpg.html

--Bob

Message from images at comporium.net (Tina Manley) ([Leica] Suggested Exposure for Mooning?)
Message from photo at frozenlight.eu (Nathan Wajsman) ([Leica] Suggested Exposure for Mooning?)