Subject: [Leica] Fear of Pixel Peeping
From: imagist3 at mac.com (George Lottermoser)
Date: Mon, 24 Jun 2013 15:32:17 -0500

On Jun 21, 2013, at 2:31 AM, Jayanand Govindaraj wrote:

> A nice short blog post which sort on encapsulates what I feel about
> photography, on how "rules" or "pixel peeping" stifle creativity:
>
> http://www.luminescentphoto.com/blog/2013/06/20/nikon-d800-myths-busted/

I see photography as a visual art.
As such I consider looking at negatives, transparencies and prints,
with a loupe and/or without, an important part of understanding the art of
photography.
I feel the same way about "pixel peeping;"
simply a means to discover how equipment and software renders detail;
and how that on screen rendering translates to prints.

I feel the same way about studying brushstrokes, transparencies and impastos
of paintings.
Such studies inform our seeing; and understanding the "art."

Obviously many other things about the arts also inform us;
and deserve equal attention by those fully immersed the various mediums.

Regards,
George Lottermoser
george at imagist.com
http://www.imagist.com