Subject: [Leica] Sony RX1R
From: jsmith342 at gmail.com (Jeffery Smith)
Date: Mon, 1 Jul 2013 15:38:06 -0500

At least the Leica I had an optical viewfinder. The Sony has it as an option
for $549. I wonder how many of those they will sell. My 35mm optical
viewfinder was made in Russia.

The Sony represents a niche market because there are so many other small
digital cameras that can produce excellent photographs. I doubt that the
photographers in the early 20th century had so many other Leica I-like
cameras from which to choose. Back when Cosina was making rangefinders and
lenses on a regular basis, I wished that they would come out with a fixed
lens rangefinder camera with a 35, 40, or 50 mm lens. Why? Because nobody
else was making one. That was a niche (and I wasn't being a detractor then
either). Instead, they came out with a fixed lens folding, medium format
camera for >$2,000. Another vacant niche filled (no detracting from me), but
too pricey for me.

I hope you aren't confusing me with Ken Rockwell.

Jeffery