Subject: [Leica] Re; Accidental photojournalist
From: lrzeitlin at aol.com (lrzeitlin at aol.com)
Date: Wed, 3 Jul 2013 13:20:32 -0400 (EDT)

 George,
You raise several interesting points. I can't agree with most of them but
still they are interesting. In my retirement career as an art critic,
certainly influenced by my nearly 50 year marriage to an extremely
"creative" artist, I have learned that creativity is not a rare attribute.
Most children are very creative. Visit a kindergarten art class to see
unfettered inspiration at work. Society bashes it out of most children by
the time they are teen agers. "Paint BETWEEN the lines was the mantra of my
kid's art teachers. Adults who are creative have learned to recover their
inner child. Whether or not their re-emergent creativity is recognized is
largely a function of the skills that they have learned in writing,
painting, or photography. And once their creative works are manifest, they
must find a venue for presentation. Galleries, magazines, exhibition halls,
and, in fact the media in general are the gatekeepers. These are businesses
for the most part. They must turn a profit to survive.

For every artist who is exhibited, I know 10 equally talented artists who
never found an outlet. Look at the LUG. The Gallery is replete with
excellent photographs, most taken by "non-professionals" whose pictures will
be seen only by close friends and on the web. Ted, Tina, and some few others
have managed to break the barrier but there are plenty of other LUGGERS
whose work is equally as good.

In my day if you wanted to get paid for taking pictures, you did one of two
things. You worked for a media outlet, newspaper or magazine, or you tried
to establish an independent freelance or "professional" business. While some
"professionals" managed to live quite nicely, most barely scraped by or
failed completely. I bought most of my cameras from failed professionals.
Sometimes "security" is better than starving.

On your second point. Sure photography has been devalued as a profession. It
has been happening as long as I can remember. During my formative years I
spent hours learning how focus, set exposures, and load a Nikkor reel. By
the mid 60s my expertise had been obsoleted by a silicon chip no bigger than
my fingernail. Anyone could possess my technical skills by plunking down a
few bucks at a camera counter. A similar thing happened with the advent of
digital photography. D76 - what's that? It has happened now with the iPhone.
Who needs a camera any more? My phone is always with me.?

Newspapers, if they still exist, have never obsessed over the quality of the
printed pictures. Timeliness is everything. Tomorrow the paper will be used
to wrap fish. We are awash in images. They are no longer novelties and the
people who make them are not regarded as exceptionally skilled. A child can
do it. And many have.

Even television has fired many of its videographers. Sure, some still work
in studios or cover local breaking news events but for the most part many of
those studio shots are taken by remote control cameras. Even combat
photography is a dying profession, literally and figuratively. Many of those
images you see on the evening news are taken by drones, cell phones, or
soldier's helmet cameras.

Few fine artists make a living painting portraits any more. Rembrandt did
quite nicely but even he suffered financially in his declining years.
Similarly few photographers will make a living by taking pictures. They will
take photographs because they love it, just like my wife paints. Cherish the
good times. They are almost over for photography as a profession. Jayanand
is right. Something will take its place but I can't imagine what.

Larry Z

- - - - -

While many "news photographers" may have seen the exchange of "security" for
"all rights"
as a good trade - many others certainly did not - including the vast majority
of those whom we laud as among the historical best.

Writers, photographers, artists, filmmakers, and musicians all depend on
income
from one or another form of "use fees" and/or royalties.

In my opinion it's the people who have screwed the creators out of those
fees,
rather than the creators working to get compensated for use of their work,
who should be looked down upon.

P.S.
Newspapers firing their photographic staff
has nothing to do with photographers selling "rights to use their
photographs."
It has everything to do with the overall devaluation of photographers and
photographs.

YMMV

Regards,
George Lottermoser?