Subject: [Leica] OT: Hon, Dear, etc.
From: pklein at threshinc.com (Peter Klein)
Date: Thu, 04 Jul 2013 21:20:56 -0700

I have to share this story.  Sorry, I have no pictures, so you'll have
to take my word for it.  :-)

A few months ago I had to leave a blood sample for my annual physical.
So I went to the waiting area and waited my turn. Eventually I hear my
name called.  I look towards the door to the lab.  Nothing. Again I hear
my name. And I realize that the voice is coming from a lower angle than
expected. I look between the two people in front of me and realize that
I am being addressed by a "little person," a woman probably less than 4
feet tall.  "C'mon, Hon," she says, and leads me into the lab.

All through the procedure she addressed me as "Hon."  And, forgive me, I
kept thinking, "Am I in a Bergman movie, or a 1950s diner?"

She did her job well, was a delightful conversationalist, and I smile
every time I think about the incident.

--Peter

Barney wrote:

> The person Dr. Ted describes here wouldn't like Baltimore very much where
> "Hon" is a term used to describe any human being of any age under any
> circumstances. In Baltimore you do not have a name. It's either Hon, honey,
> or dear.

And Ric Carter illustrated:

Replies: Reply from jayanand at gmail.com (Jayanand Govindaraj) ([Leica] OT: Hon, Dear, etc.)
Reply from tedgrant at shaw.ca (tedgrant at shaw.ca) ([Leica] OT: Hon, Dear, etc.)