Subject: [Leica] IMG: Comments on today's digest.
From: lrzeitlin at aol.com (lrzeitlin at aol.com)
Date: Sun, 7 Jul 2013 13:41:11 -0400 (EDT)

 No new photos today. It's just too damned hot. But a couple of comments on
the latest LUG postings. Bandwidth is cheap. Bear with me. It's going be
over 100F today.

First I fully agree with Jayanard that India is a place for color
photography. My wife, to whom I totally defer on all discussions of color,
claims that India is the most colorful place we ever visited. On our return
the City University of NY mounted an art show of more than 20 of her large
colorful paintings. The New York Times reviewer was blown away. Filming
India in B&W would be a travesty.
http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/Larry+Z/Get+ready+for+Holi.jpg.html
http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/Larry+Z/Our+laundress.jpg.html
http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/Larry+Z/Cook.jpeg.html

Second, Nathan's photographs of his Jutland trip adequately illustrate the
loneliness of the long distance biker. While bikers may travel in groups,
essentially biking is a solitary activity. The biker is responsible for
controlling his/her vehicle, constantly keeping alert for potholes and
gravel patches, scanning to traffic, and supplying all the propulsive power
for himself and 30 to 50 pounds of loaded bike. It is only at rest stops
where the biker has an opportunity to socialize. Nathan's trip? averaged
about 50 miles a day. A pretty good stint for a slightly overweight biker on
a loaded touring bike. The fact that he had any energy left to take
photographs is remarkable. Good for you, Nathan. I like your photos.

Some previously posted biking photos illustrating the loneliness theme.
A testament to my credibility.
http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/Larry+Z/National+Century+1990.JPG.html
The loneliness of the long distance biker.
http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/Larry+Z/Biking+at+Perkins+Peak.jpg.html
http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/Larry+Z/Larry+biking+at+Croton+Dam.jpg.html

Finally, Neal's photo firing a 10 pound Parrott Rifle is appropriate for
this 150th anniversary of the battle of Gettysburg.
- - - -
We get sort of loud here on the 4th, this was the last salute at our?
annual July 4th picnic with my original 10 pdr Parrott rifle?
http://myolympus.org/document.php?id=19131
- - - -
The Parrott Rifle was made just a few miles from our house at the West Point
Foundry in Cold Spring, NY. It was invented by Capt. Robert Parrott, a West
Point graduate. He resigned from the service in 1836 to become
superintendent of the foundry. The Parrott Rife had a cast iron barrel for
accuracy and a wrought iron band shrunk around the breech for strength. It
had greater range and accuracy than the Confederate cannon of the same era
and is credited with winning the artillery duel at Gettysburg. About 300
still exist and Neil's is one of them. Most are on display in museums or on
battlefields.

Here is a picture of a small Parrott Rifle just a few hundred yards from
where it was made.
http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/Larry+Z/44_+Parrott+cannon+copy.JPG.html

Larry Z

Replies: Reply from photo at frozenlight.eu (Nathan Wajsman) ([Leica] IMG: Comments on today's digest.)