Subject: [Leica] Leica M diopters (Myopia vs. Presbyopia)
From: pklein at threshinc.com (Peter Klein)
Date: Sun, 07 Jul 2013 11:54:18 -0700

Thanks for your thoughts, Sonny. My eyes lose horizontal alignment when
I look far to the right.  It's called strabismus. Doing "monovision"
(one eye distance, one eye near) is not a good idea, because it can make
strabismus worse. This is why I need some horizontal prism to keep my
eyes aligned when looking to the right. I can get along fine without it
for just casual walking around, but I need it to drive, or I start
seeing two cars on my right where only one is really there! Also,
contacts don't do prism correction, so I wouldn't be able to drive that way.

* Using the Leica viewfinder bare-eyed, I see OK but not perfect. Add
the Megaperls magnifier w/diopter, and it's almost perfect.
* With the bifocal glasses, seeing out of the viewfinder is blurrier. If
I could use the Megaperls, I would see just fine, but it would scratch
my glasses.

Wearing my bifocals seem to be the best universal solution, at least
with a normal lens and longer. That is, if the Leica diopters have
rubber and not metal for the eyepiece. So I need a diopter with a rubber
eyepiece if I'm going to shoot the Leica with my glasses. Then I'll be
able to see the controls.  If I'm going to shoot bare-eyed, then I need
some way to read the controls.

--Peter

Sonny wrote:
 > When I had my cataract surgery, I had them do my left eye for distance
 > vision and my right eye for close, as I shoot Leica with my left
eye.  So I
 > don't need glasses for most things.   I do wear them for reading to fine
 > tune.
 >
 > Why wouldn't one contact help you out?
 >

 > On Sat, Jul 6, 2013 at 7:11 PM, Peter Klein <pklein at threshinc.com>
wrote:

 > > Question:  Do the Leica diopters have a rubber eyepiece or a metal one?
 > >
 > > Here's why I ask.  Yesterday's shooting with my M8 brought home a
change.
 > >  I am no longer nearsighted in either eye, so briefly taking off my
glasses
 > > to read the controls no longer works.  For distance vision, my left eye
  ...  blah blah blah etc....

Replies: Reply from images at comporium.net (Tina Manley) ([Leica] Leica M diopters (Myopia vs. Presbyopia))